Instagram’s most recent update introduces the ability to add up to 10 photos and videos to a single post, album-style. This allows users to swipe through and see each individual piece of content in the post, similar to Snapchat’s slideshow storytelling format.
While some people are skeptical that this could change the culture of Instagram, this change could actually offer a lot of opportunity—especially for businesses.
Essentially, this change means you can create carousel ads for free, and like carousel ads, Instagram’s newest feature will allow you to combine photos and video to tell stories and convey information in the best way possible.
5 ways businesses can use Instagram’s new album feature
1. Showcase products
The album format is a great way to tell people about what you have to offer, by showing off several different products or by highlighting features of a single product.
2. Tell a story
Albums give brands the opportunity to explore new creative avenues for storytelling, breaking stories down into multiple parts to make them even more engaging for the audience. A picture is worth a thousand words, and an album is worth.. a lot of words!
3. Explain how to do something
Being able to easily pull together multiple elements into a single post will make albums the new and best way to share a how-to. Write instructions on individual photos, have someone explain what’s happening in a video—the sky’s the limit.
4. Break a larger image into multiple parts
Lots of brands have used the #triplegram—a tactic that involves posting three related images, or one image cropped into three, in succession to make a larger image. With albums, this process is even easier.
Crop a panorama into several pieces to show off details. Then, get creative with other functionality, like zoom, to engage your audience.
5. Share an event without spamming
Have you ever held an event and had a hard time choosing which photo from it to post? Have you ever just wanted to post a bunch of photos but didn’t want to spam your followers? No more.
Now you can carefully curate the best of the best photos or videos from an event and share them in a grouping that gives them added context—and prevents your audience from hitting the unfollow button.
How to use the album feature on Instagram
Instagram’s new feature is easy to use and anyone can do it!
- Tap the + icon at the bottom middle of the screen to upload a photo or video
- In the bottom right of your image, you’ll see a new stacked rectangles icon which allows you to select multiple photos and video—tap it
- Scroll through your camera roll and choose the media you’d like to add to your album—up to 10 photos and videos
- You can change how each photo or video is cropped by tapping the screen to adjust how it fits in the frame
- Once you’ve selected your desired media, tap Next to move to the editing screen
- Tap, hold, and drag items in the album to change their order
- To delete a photo or video from your album, drag it to the trashcan icon at the top of the screen
- You can apply filters to all of the items in the album, or edit each one separately
- Once you’re happy with your edits, tap Next to move to the caption screen
- Add a caption and location
- Tap Tag People, then swipe to find the photo you’d like to tag someone in—you can tag people in each individual photo in your album
- Tap Share to post your album
When you see an album post in the feed, there’ll be blue dots at the bottom to let you know you can swipe to see more.You can like and comment on album posts the same way you can with regular Instagram posts. Comments and likes will appear on the entire album, rather than on the individual photos or videos in it.